Gluten Free Apple Strip
YIELD: 1 each 12” apple strip or 6 servings
This apple strip is great for breakfast or brunches. It’s very low in sugar, feel free to add more if desired. Try slicing the strip on the bias and serving plated with vanilla sauce or ice cream for an elegant dessert.
Prep Time: 10 minutes, Bake Time: 30 minutes @ 400˚F
1 Gluten Free pie dough recipe
2 granny smith apples
1-1/2 Tbsp. sugar
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 egg beaten for brushing on crust
Apricot jelly for brushing on apples and crust, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Peel and core apples. Cut in half then place cut side down onto cutting board and make very thin slices. Set aside
3. Roll dough on a lightly dusted surface, using extra pie dough mix, to 1/8” thick x 12” long and 6” wide. Try to roll as rectangular as possible. Place dough onto parchment paper lined sheet pan. Make ¾” wide slits on both lengthwise sides of dough approximately 1-1/4” deep.
4. Lay apple slices evenly down the center of the strip. Mix cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle on apples.
5. Fold cut strips up and over apples. It’s okay if it looks rustic.
6. Place sheet pan in middle of oven and bake for 3o minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender.
7. Apricot jelly can be warmed and brushed onto strip if desired.
Serving suggestion – Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.