Gluten Free Fig Oat Bars
YIELD: One 8”x8” pan
Using our Oatmeal cookie mix you can easily make these delicious Fig Bars. Dried dates can be used in place of the figs if desired.
1 bag Oatmeal cookie mix plus;
1 stick plus 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, soft
8 oz dried figs
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup water
Zest of 2 oranges
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. In a bowl combine dry mix and butter and sugar mix with hands or stand mixer and paddle until mixture is well blended and crumbly. Press 3 cups of mixture into the bottom of a parchment paper lined 8”x8” pan, set aside. Reserve the remaining crumb mixture for topping.
2. Chop figs. Put figs, brown sugar, cinnamon, orange zest, cocoa powder, salt and water into sauce pot, bring to a simmer and simmer until liquid is soaked up by figs, about 15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool about 5 minutes.
4. Spread fig mixture evenly over oat mixture in pan.
5. Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over filling.
6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven on middle shelf for 40 minutes.
7. Cool completely, and then cut into squares.