Gluten Free Pineapple Upsidedown Cake
YIELD: 1-10” cake plus enough batter left for a 6” cake *see note below
This is a very simple but delicious dessert that you’ll make over and over. Great for brunch also.
1 bag Vanilla cake mix plus other ingredients on package
1 can pineapple slices in juice or enough fresh pine apple rings to cover the bottom of the cake pan
Brown sugar ¾ cup
Butter, lightly melted 3 oz.
Pecan halves, optional
Apricot glaze, optional
1. Preheat oven to 335 degrees F.
2. Grease a 10” cake pan.
3. Mix the melted cooled butter and brown sugar together and spread on the bottom of the prepared cake pan. If the mixture doesn’t spread easily, place pan in the oven for 1-2 minutes to warm up which facilitates spreading.
4. Placed drained pineapple slices on top of sugar/butter mixture. Add pecans if desired.
5. Prepare cake mix according to package instructions and pour ¾ of batter over pineapple slices. Spread evenly.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean from the center of the cake.
7. Allow cake to cool for 3-4 minutes, then invert onto a platter or cake plate.
8. Glaze with apricot glaze if desired.
Note: I bake the extra cake batter in a smaller cake pan or a loaf pan, then freeze it to have a small cake on hand when needed. Use any icing to finish it. Or use the remaining batter for cupcakes. Freeze for later use.
*If you don’t mind that the cake is a bit lower in height you can bake 2-9” pineapple upsidedown cakes. You’ll need to prepare 1 ½ times the brown sugar/butter mixture then split between the two pans. You’ll also need another can of pineapple slices.