Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies
YIELD: Approximately 4 dozen cookies. The yield will be dependent on the size cookie cutter used.
This is a very versatile dough that can be made into shortbread cookies of any shape including holiday cut out cookies. This dough can also be used for the crust for most tarts.
Prep Time: Bake Time: 15-18 minutes or until golden brown@375 ˚F
2-1/4 cups Moon Rabbit Foods pie dough mix
½ cup + 2 tsp. granulated sugar
8 oz. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg 1 tsp. xanthan gum
1/8 tsp baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. Star Kay White vanilla extract
1. Mix the butter and sugar together on low speed with a paddle just until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
2. Add all remaining ingredients and mix on low speed until combined stopping to scrape the bowl once.
3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for several hours until firm enough to roll.
4. Using extra pie dough dry mix for rolling, roll the dough out to 3/16” of an inch thick (or desired thickness). Cut dough using desired shapes.
5. Place cookies on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and bake until cookies are golden brown around edges.
6. Decorate cookies with desired icing, sprinkles, etc.
Variation – Use round or square cutters, brush with water or milk and sprinkle with sugar for a great cookie anytime.
Tart shell variation-Roll dough to fit any size tart shell, poke bottom of dough with a fork, chill for 10 minutes then bake until golden brown. Allow to cool then fill with lemon curd, pastry cream and fruit etc. to make a great dessert.